Scientific name: Tillandsia usneoides
Synonyms: Old man’s beard, Spanish Moss, French Hair, Spanish Beard
Spanish Moss is a delicate silvery-grey air plant that is often used to hang in trees or as a gorgeous décor piece without the need for soil.
Despite its name, Spanish Moss is found in Southern parts of North America and many Southern American Countries growing from trees in warm moist swamplands, soaking up moisture and nutrients from the air, and got its name from French Explorers who likened it to the beards of Spanish conquistadors.
Whether at home or in the office, their elegant trailing habit creates a charming hanging display that will add character to any room. Try adding it to a mounted houseplant, such as a Staghorn Fern or Moss ball, or letting it gently dangle from an indoor tree of yours. It can also be draped over prized décor pieces to add texture and intrigue.
As a lover oh high humidity, it is recommended to give your plant a daily sprits and to soak your Spanish Moss in room temperature water once a week during the warmer months, and once every few weeks during the Winter.
Toxicity: Tillandsia has no known toxicity.
SPANISH MOSS COMMON SYMPTOMS
- Browning tips or dry patches: This is a clear sign that your Spanish Moss is experiencing dehydration. Either the air around your Tillandsia is too dry or watering is insufficient. Be sure to place your Spanish Moss in a humid area such as a bathroom or kitchen or Sprits regularly. Be sure to water your Spanish Moss regularly.
- Mushy brown foliage: This is a sign that your plant is being overwatered. Spanish Moss prefers drying out between each watering. Overwatering causes rot to set in.
SPANISH MOSS CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- Origin: Parts of Southern North American South America
- Height: Can reach 6m, however, slow-growing so can take a few years.
- Light: Loves bright filtered light best, avoid direct sunlight
- Water: Water once a week during warm weather or every two weeks during winter, this is dependent on humidity levels, by soaking in a bucket of water for 1 minute. Remove and shake off excess water.
- Humidity: High humidity is required. Sprits daily with a Spray Bottle or Mister.
- Temperature: Ideal temperatures range from 18°C – 26°C.
- Soil: Not recommended.
- Fertilizer: Use a well balanced organic liquid fertilizer once every month during Spring through Summer in water for soaking.
- Repotting: Not required.
- Propagation: Separate out strands as each strand will carry on growing creating its own mats. Treat as usual.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.